Lead Poisoning Prevention
- Tenant Rights and Resources
- What is a Child PCP? Video
- Asma: ¿Que Sucede Durante Un Ataque? Video en Español
Lead is a toxic metal that produces many adverse health effects. Lead poisoning is a disease caused by exposure to and the absorption of lead. It is persistent and cumulative. It does not degrade. Lead poisoning is preventable.
You may be wondering how much lead can cause you to be lead poisoned. Here is an example as how small of an amount it takes to poison you.
Take a penny and break it up in to 2 million pieces...now take 2 pieces out of the 2 million... Just those 2 pieces is enough to poison you.
Lead can be found in many products that most parents are unaware of such as: Toys, jewelry, painted furniture, cosmetics, food or liquid containers, plumbing products etc.
Sometimes, children are lead poisoned because a parent unknowingly brings lead dust home from their job. Some high risk lead exposure occupations are listed below:
To help reduce exposing yourself or your children if you work in any of the above occupations:
Early identification and treatment of lead poisoning reduces the risk that permanent damage will occur.
A blood lead test is the only way to tell if someone has an elevated blood level.
There are two kinds of tests:
Filter Paper Testing
Children's blood lead levels are different than an adult because children are more susceptible to becoming lead poisoned and their bodies are still developing. Below is guidance on what should be done at different blood lead levels.
A person can be lead poisoned without showing signs and symptoms. That is why it is important have a blood lead test done. Some signs may include:
Lack of appetite
Numbness or tingling of the extremities
Reduced sperm count
Miscarriage or premature birth in pregnant women
A diet low in fat and high in iron and calcium can reduce the lead the body absorbs. This is because a diet that lacks iron, calcium and zinc will cause the body to absorb lead instead of these needed minerals.
How can you reduce lead in the environment?
Wash children's hands after play, before eating and before bed.
Wash their toys, pacifiers and other objects they put in their mouths.
Use only lead-free ceramics for cooking or storing food. Pottery from foreign countries often contains lead.
Feed your child 3 meals a day with foods high in calcium.
Use only cold water from the cold water tap for cooking or for making baby formula. Run water from the cold water tap until the temperature changes.( about 1 minutes)
Once a week, use detergent or wet wipes to mop floors, window sills, furniture, mini blinds or other surfaces that may contain lead in dust.
If your home was built before 1978 test your home for lead before renovating or repairing. NEVER dry sand, dry scrape or sandblast paint.
Keep your child away from peeling or chipping paint.
Plant shrubs, grass, or other ground cover on bare soil you suspect may contain lead.
Recycle spent rechargeable batteries.
Cover lead-painted walls and ceilings with plaster, wallboard, wallpaper, paneling or lead-free paint.
Install vinyl siding over lead paint outdoors. These keep lead paint from chipping and falling into places where children live and play.
|| | | | ||